Everyone has heard some flirtatious lines that were actually pretty smooth, whether they were directed to them or not, but what about those really cheesy ones that just make you laugh? Those that just get to you and make you think, “If they want to meet me this bad, might as well give them a chance,” or that make you say, “I’d give them my number if they said that to me.”
Psychologists have revealed that there are three different types of opening lines that make first impressions either never get you past the acquaintance stage of a relationship or can make a lasting one. These three types of opening lines include direct gambits (ex. “I’m sort of shy, but I’d like to get to know you.”), innocuous gambits (ex. “What do you think of this band?”), and cute/flippant gambits (ex. “Do you have any raisins? No? Then how about a date?”), according to Scott Barry Kaufman Ph.D.
It would seem that there are types that men prefer and women prefer mostly and neither are the cute/flippant gambits; women prefer innocuous gambits and men prefer direct opening gambits. Though this has been found, through much research if has been found that women either consciously or unconsciously look for a sense of humor. “In fact, women were three times more likely to give their phone number to the confederate who told jokes, compared to the confederate who did not. The humorous men were considered more attractive, intelligent, funny and sociable,” stated Gil Greengross Ph.D., so if you are the cheesy pick up line guy then these might work.
- Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?
- Can I borrow a kiss? I promise I’ll give it back.
- I want to tell you your fortune. [Take her hand and write your phone number on it.] Your future is clear.
- See my friend over there? He wants to know if you think I’m cute.
- Hey, are you my appendix? Because I don’t understand what you do, but this feeling in my stomach makes me want to take you out?
- Do you have any raisins? No? How about a date?
- Hey are you an organ donor? Can I have your heart anyway?
- Do you know what the square root of 81 is? (Hopefully they say nine) Oh, then you are not just another pretty face.
- Hello, I’m doing a survey of what people think are the cheesiest pickup lines. So, do you pick ‘Do you come here often?’, ‘What’s your sign?’, or ‘Hello, I’m doing a survey of what people think are the cheesiest pickup lines.’?
- I was so enchanted by your beauty that I ran into that wall over there. So I am going to need your name and number for insurance purposes.
Please note that one size does not fit all. Not every man or woman could pull off these lines and not every man or woman finds these attractive. Add your own style or use your own methods as the situation arises.